Tuesday, August 1, 2017

My first sumo wrestling CDV...circa 1900

Sumo wrestling collecting material has all but dried up for the 1950s and 1960s, so I have turned my purchasing focus to the older stuff as well as the modern BBM cards.  There are still great sets to be had from the 1930s and postcards are always popping from the 1920s, but you very rarely see these 1800 CDVs (carte de vista) cards come up for auction.  This CDV is from the late 1800s and has a photograph of Ozeki Hoo (pronounced Hoe Oh).  Although no photographer is associated with this particular CDV (It looks like it says Fine Photographic 7), it could have been one of the more established companies in Tokyo as these likely would have been very expensive to manufacture.  I am hoping to gather more of these up in the future to hopefully be able to catalog them.


3 comments:

  1. Late 1800's? That's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've see a few other CDVs throughout the years, but was stupid not to pick them up! Hard to beat 1890s Sumo stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully I find a few more of these!

    ReplyDelete